Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Her Pair of Red Shoes

I could see them from where I was. The two of them. A boy and a girl. Couple, I thought so. They were walking very slowly. They were talking. But it seemed that there was a problem. If I were not wrong, they were having an argument. Misunderstanding, maybe. The girl started to look down and clear waters fell from her eyes. I wanted to comfort her. I hated it everytime I saw a girl crying because of their stupid boyfriends. When she looked up, anger registered over her face. But it did not affect her angelic face because sadness still stood out. She shouted over his boy. But I did not hear her words.

The girl then stopped walking and sat on the nearest bench. The boy continued to walk, as if he were alone. She procured something from her bag. A pair of shoes? I thought. I was not mistaken. A pair of black shoes. She removed the pair of red shoes she was wearing and started to don the black ones.

She ran towards the boy who was still walking and threw the pair of red shoes towards his back. I felt a slight sense of gladness when she did that. The boy looked back. I readied myself in case the boy thought to revenge. It was a good thing he did not do any bad thing. He just looked at the girl first then at the red shoes. The girl just walked opposite the guy’s direction. And so the boy too, leaving the pair of red shoes in the sidewalk.

What a sad goodbye! I thought again. I walked towards the shoes and picked up the pair. I put them inside my backpack and and went back home. I checked the shoes and put them in my shoe rack, along with my favorite shoes. The next day, I went back to the park where I saw the boy, the girl and the red shoes.

Unfortunately, I just found myself alone in the park. The next day, I went back. But still, no trace of the girl. I hoped. But I never saw her again.

I was not sure if I fell in love with the girl. All I was sure of was to have to see the girl again to return the shoes to her. But as days passed by, I felt more intimate emotions for the girl. Maybe that was the reason why I always looked for her. Not just to return the shoes.

Because of this, I pitied myself.

I loved a girl. Too bad, I had just seen her for once. Hopes and prayes were my only companions in this unlucky journey in life.

And the only thing that strengthened my hopes is the pair of red shoes. Her pair of red shoes. The only thing that linked her with me. The only entity that made me continue to love her. Despite her absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment